The Municipal Green Line (5709-5727)
The municipal “Green Line” is the name given to the area totaling about 7 kilometers of the border between the Jordanian controlled area to the east and the Israeli area on the west. The municipal Green Line divided the city of Jerusalem for 19 years (From Cheshvan 5709, November 1948 – Iyar 5727, June 1967). The Green Line originated from the cease fire agreement signed on November 30, 1948 (28th of Cheshvan, 5709) between the Israeli representative, Jerusalem Regional Commander Lt. Colonel Moshe Dayan, and the representative of the Arab forces, Lt. Colonel Abdullah A-Tel. As an appendix to the printed agreement, a map at a scale of 1:20,000 was attached, upon which the line marking the military positions of both sides and the no-man’s land between them was drawn with colored wax pencils. In the disarmament agreement between Israel and Jordan signed on the island of Rhodes four months later, on April 3, 1949 (4th of Nissan, 5709), it was decided that the disarmament lines would overlap the cease-fire lines according to the abovementioned map, whose only copy was saved in a safe deposit box at the UN observers headquarters at Armon Hanatziv. The lines marked on the map with the colored wax pencils were 3-4 millimeters thick, which translated as a strip of buildings 60-80 meters wide. This problem of the “thickness of the line” was the most prominent of the many problems that arose from these agreements and their implementation during the 19 years of the existence of this municipal Green Line.
The most southern position on the Israeli side of the municipal Green Line was the “Lone House” (today the visitors center of the Armon Hanatziv Ridge) at the northwestern end of the pine grove.